December 1, 1922: Journal Entry

1 December 1922

God dammit! Why did I have to break off with the man who would, less than two months later, make one of the greatest discoveries of this century? I am a complete idiot. Since we are not on talking terms at this time, I suppose I will have to sneak in and see the tomb when he’s not around. This is most vexing.

At least the French are happy to have me work with them in the North in March. They have some very interesting inscriptions and are on the trail of a long-lost temple. There is plenty of translation work to keep me occupied, which is a blessing.

Next year I think I will take a holiday, perhaps to India. I have been looking forward to seeing the country for many years, after all, and I need to be away from Egypt for a littIe while.

No comments: